To the Brethren in Ohio.
By J. H. Waggoner
BRO. WHITE: Will you please to give in the Review the following in explanation to Bro. Baker's letter: When I received the letter from the committee, I immediately wrote to Bro. Van Gorder, saying that I was not aware that a conference was wanted in Ohio, unless Bro. and Sr. White could attend it. Neither did I know that the objects of a conference could be attained if they did not attend. But if the brethren desired a conference in the absence of Bro. White, to make the appointment in the Review, and I would be sure to meet it. When I came to Ohio, I hastened to communicate with Bro. Van Gorder, to ascertain if the appointment had been sent. He informed me that he had relinquished the idea of a conference for the present. The officers of the Lovett's Grove church accompanied me to Portage. They co-incided with Bro. Van Gorder's decision. He also informed me that Bro. Hoffer, who had been around amongst the brethren considerable of late, told him that there was not a general desire for a conference at this time. Under these circumstances I felt that I should be much out of place in appointing such a meeting. This has been a very open winter, warm, with much rain; and the brethren did not think it possible to get a fair representation of the churches together. I have acted under the advice of brethren in the State, who requested me to try to visit some of the scattered believers and see if openings presented for lectures. I have made every effort to get to Orwell, but on application at the stage office, was informed that passengers could not be conveyed in the present state of the roads. As most of the scattered ones live some distance from the rail-roads, I shall have to depart from my intended course for the present, and confine myself to those places which are near the roads. The weather for some time past has been more like that of a wet April, than of December or January; yet we cannot expect that it will remain so a great while. I think that if Bro. White could meet with the churches in Ohio some time in February, it would be very gratifying to all and doubtless far better for the cause than to wait till spring. Cleaveland, Ohio, Jan. 7, 1863. Having read the above, I fully agree with Bro. Waggoner in his statements of the past, and also respecting the holding of a conference. I would further say to those who have spoken to me respecting the place to hold a conference, that for several reasons which can be given if necessary, I think Gilboa the proper place.